Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Eczema

We survived our trip to Michigan! It was tiring, but fun, and I'll post more about that soon. 

I took Evan to the pedi yesterday for his worsening eczema and random rashes. The doctor prescribed 2 strong steroid creams and suggested we give him Benadryl at bedtime. If he doesn't improve in a couple of weeks, he will probably be referred to a pediatric dermatologist. There was a little talk of him possibly needing to switch back to the Alimentum formula in case of a milk allergy. Or the possibility of other food allergies. I really doubt it (there is no family history and he hasn't had many solids yet), but it's something to consider if it continues. Poor guy. He's been such a trouper, but I know it must really be itching and bothering him.

Oh, and Evan also has a mild virus, which appears to have manifested as conjunctivitis. He has oodles of eye junk and just generally seems under the weather. Unfortunately, I appear to be getting sick, too. Sucky. I rarely get sick and can't remember the last time I had a cold. So this is a surprise. I'm hoping it's mild and I kick it fast. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw. Poor Evan and poor Laura.

Don't rule out that it's just part of the whole virus thing, causing weird rashes. My niece got a weird rash (she was 18 months or so) and it ended up being a viral reaction.

Good luck!

Kathy W said...

Sorry to hear you guys are sick! It was great seeing you while you were here in Michigan! Thanks for making the time to have dinner with us!

Hatushili said...

It really won't help you right now, but his eczema continues to bother him as he gets older consider keeping sunflower seeds in his regular diet. The oil in the seeds works wonders on one of our daughters, even when meds were of minimal help. Added bonus: holistic and dirt cheap compared to meds! : )

My two cents,
Nathan (Dave's once-upon-a-roommate)